Welcome to the world of Polish fast food. If you ever visit Poland,
do not be surprised if you see countless corner shops or booths with
bright signs reading "ZAPIEKANKI." Many people can be found eating these
long baguettes covered with melted cheese and ketchup.
I would like to thank Chelsea
for featuring me on her website.
Check out her blog, she recently started with guest posts.
Zapiekanki are absolutely delicious! If you treat each ingredient with respect
and make use of fresh vegetables and cheese, you will be in for a pleasant surprise!
My family makes Zapiekanki for dinner. Anything homemade tastes delicious, of course.
Zapiekanki are universal, any picky eater can instantly find something that will easily satisfy them.
The classic zapiekanka has onions, mushrooms, cheese, and chives.
Nowadays, people will put anything they have leftover in their fridge and toast it on bread.
Try it out!
Ingredients-1. 5 Ciabatta or Baguette Bread
2. 2 Cups of Cheddar or Mozzarella Cheese
3. 2 Onions
4. 500g Mushrooms
5. 5 Slices of Ham
6. 2 tbsp. Margarine
7. 2 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
10. Chopped Chives
11. Ketchup (optional)
Instructions-1. Slice bread into halves. Spread margarine lightly.
2. Finely chop onions and grate mushrooms.
3. Heat skillet and melt margarine with vegetable oil to prevent burning.
4. Add onions and cook until translucent. Flavor slightly with salt and pepper.
5. Add mushrooms and cook until they reduce size and are soft. Add salt and pepper. Stir occasionally.
6. Slice ham into smaller pieces and grate the cheese.
7. Spread mushrooms and onions onto bread. Cover with sliced ham. Sprinkle with cheese.
8. Repeat this step until all bread pieces are covered with mushrooms, onions, ham, and cheese.
9. Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Toast in oven until cheese is melted and bread is slightly crispy.
10. Chop chives and add to toasted zapiekanki. Serve with ketchup.