Everyone loves spaghetti, right?!
I know kids love it, and most of us are kids at heart, anyways.
Although I did post a recipe a few months back that seems to be very similar
to spaghetti bolognese, it included more vegetables and I used a different pasta.
Today, I made traditional Italian inspired Spaghetti Bolognese, red wine included.
I usually blend my vegetables into a tomato sauce puree,
but this is the time-saving version. No loss of flavor occurred!
Words cannot express how delicious this sauce was.
Ingredients-1. 500g 100% Ground Beef (High-Quality, grind the meat yourself if possible!)
2. 2 Cups Red Wine (optional, or try using only 1 cup instead)
3. 3 Carrots
4. 2 Onions
5. 1 Red Bell Pepper
6. 3 Celery Stalks
7. 1 Head of Garlic
8. 1 Box Spaghetti (I used Barilla No. 5)
9. 3 Cans of Chopped Tomatoes
10. 2 tsp. Herbs (Basil, Oregano, Thyme)
11. Salt and Pepper (add to taste)
12. Olive Oil
13. 2 tsp. Sugar
Instructions-1. Heat skillet and add a splash of olive oil. Brown meat and break it up into chunks.
2. When meat is brown, add 1 cup of red wine.
3. Add 1 tsp. of mixed Italian herbs. Stir gently.
4. When meat is cooked, remove from heat. Set aside for later.
5. Chop 2 onions and prepare all vegetables. Peel carrots and slice. Slice celery and red bell pepper.
6. Heat large sauce pan and add plenty of olive oil. Add onions.
7. As onions change color, add 2 tsp. of sugar, this will really release their true sweetness.
8. Add sliced vegetables and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Cover sauce pan. If your pan is NOT non-stick, add 1/2 cup of water to prevent burning.
10. Cook vegetables for about 15 minutes, then add 1 cup of red wine to the vegetables.
11. Cook vegetables to desired tenderness then add cooked meat. Stir in gently.
12. Add canned tomatoes, 1 tsp. of herbs, salt and pepper (if needed) and cook, covered, for 30 min.
13. Cook pasta according to instructions and serve when hot with grated cheese.