Polish Traditional Crepes
with Sweet Cheese and Strawberry Purée
Ingredients- ( Prep Time ~20mins - Cooking Time ~30mins )
1. ~500g Cake Flour
2. ~750ml-1L Milk
3. 1 Egg
4. 1 Tablespoon of Oil
5. Pinch of salt
6. Pinch of sugar
7. Pinch of vanilla sugar
Sweet Cheese Filling:
1. 200g Farmer's Cheese
2. 2 teaspoons of sugar
3. 1 teaspoon of vanilla sugar
4. Pinch of salt
5. 1 Tablespoon of 18% Sour Cream
1. 400g Frozen Strawberries
2. 3-4 Tablespoons 18% Fat Sour Cream
3. Sugar (Add to taste, the sweetness of the strawberries might be enough!)
4. 1 Teaspoon of vanilla sugar
1. Thaw frozen strawberries. Crush them when softened. (A blender is fine to use, but the concept of this topping is for the chunks of strawberries to be present!)
2. Add flour, milk, and one egg into a large bowl.
3. Mix well and add a pinch of salt and sugar.
4. Check the consistency of the batter, it should not be thick or heavy. Crepes need a batter that is watery. Add more milk if needed. Add some oil to create a non-stick batter.
5. Mix well, a blender will come in handy in this step. There should be no clumps of flour.
**Do not over mix the batter or the crepes will become tough.
***Only blend until there are no more clumps in the batter!
6. Set the batter aside, and fluff up farmer's cheese with a fork or spoon.
7. Add sugar and salt. The cheese should be very sweet, so add enough to satisfy your taste.
8. Mix well and add a tablespoon of sour cream to lighten the consistency. The cheese should be easy to spread.
9. Set the cheese in the fridge. Check if your strawberries are ready, when they are, add a few tablespoons of sour cream. Sweeten to taste, add some vanilla sugar, as well.
10. We are ready to make our crepes!
A few tips -> The first crepe is usually the worst, mainly because of the pan being too cool. Do not overload the pan with batter. The crepe should be extremely thin! Heat the pan, it should be very hot. Add some oil for the first set of crepes, with each crepe the cooking will be quicker and better!
11. Lay the batter on a large pan. When the crepe starts to turn gold, flip it with a spatula. Cook until both sides are golden brown, usually a minute or so.
12. Make all your crepes at once. When finished, place a few teaspoons of cheese and fold into half and once again into half. A triangle shape is common in Eastern Europe. Pour the strawberry puree on top.