Another pasta dish, I simply can't resist!
However, this is a healthier twist because I substituted pork/beef with turkey.
This is a wise choice because the entire meal will have less calories and fat.
Surprisingly, it does not affect the taste. This was absolutely delicious!
Ingredients- (makes several servings)1. 500g Ground Turkey
2. 2 Cans of Chopped Tomatoes (with basil and oregano, optional)
3. 1 Large Carrot
4. 4-5 Celery Stalks
5. 1 Large Onion
6. Vegetable Oil
7. 4 Garlic Cloves
8. 4 tbsp. of Tomato Paste
9. 300g of Penne Pasta
10. Grated Parmesan Cheese
13. 1/2 tsp. of Basil
14. 1/2 tsp. of Oregano
15. 1/2 tsp. of Powdered Garlic
16. 1/2 tsp. of Sugar
17. 1/2 tsp. of Salt-Free Garlic Herb Seasoning Mix (optional)
Instructions-1. Wash and clean vegetables. Chop carrots, onion, and celery.
2. Preheat large sauce pot with a thin layer of vegetable oil.
3. Add chopped onions and cook for one minute.
4. Add sugar to the onions and stir.
5. When onions brown, add chopped carrots and celery. Add salt to taste.
6. Cook with lid covered and stir frequently.
*Add water if necessary to prevent burning.
7. After about ten minutes of cooking, add two cans of chopped tomatoes. Add herbs.
8. Cook on low heat for about 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
9. In the meantime, preheat skillet with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil.
10. Add ground turkey and cook. Add salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
11. Add a pinch of basil, oregano, and powdered garlic to the meat.
12. When the meat begins to brown, add 3 tbsp. of tomato paste and stir.
13. Cook for about two more minutes then remove from heat and set aside.
14. When the tomato sauce has been cooking for about an hour, check the vegetables.
15. When vegetables are soft, remove sauce from heat and let it slightly cool.
16. Once the sauce is cooled, blend thoroughly with a blender.
17. Add cooked meat to the blended sauce and stir. Reheat entire turkey ragu sauce.
18. Simmer for about twenty more minutes
19. In the meantime, cook penne pasta al dente.
20. Combine sauce and pasta, and serve with grated Parmesan cheese. Delicious!